Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Faux Paper Piecing with Bugaboo Stamps

This week I have the pleasure of doing this tutorial as a feature at Catch the Bug Challenge Blog.  I would like to thank the entire DT for Bugaboo Stamps for this opportunity.


For this (my first ever) tutorial, I’m going to show how to do “Faux Paper Piecing” or “Digital Paper Piecing” using Silhouette Cameo Designer Edition Software.   If any of these steps are not clear, please let me know and I’ll provide more details as much as I can.

1.    Choose your image and drag it onto you mat.  You can use any compatible image format.  I am using the jpg of Bugaboo Stamps’ “Ava and Deacon Love Word”.  Resize it to your liking.  For the purpose of this tutorial, I am setting the image at 4 inches high.  It can be resized later to fit your project after all the steps are complete.

(Note:  Any Bugaboo image great for this because of the thicker lines that make it easier to offset the pieces to make layering seamless).


2.    Trace the image.  Click on the “Open the Trace Window” and “Select Trace Area”; you can either select the entire image or just the part you are going to piece.  I personally like doing the entire image.  Once done, move your image to the side, you’ll only be working with the traced pieces.


3.    For my project, I want to piece the word “LOVE” so I am going to clear out everything except the inside of these pieces.  On my traced image, you’ll notice some accent bits, you’ll want to keep those as well.

Click on the “red” image, then right click+ “Release Compound Path”.  This will separate the pieces.  You can either just pull out the pieces you want, or delete those you don’t.  I prefer to delete the ones I don’t want so that everything stays together.

Here you can see the parts I kept.


and a close up view… you can see I also removed all outlines but kept the inside parts.
4.    Select the entire traced area, right click -> Group, then do an offset.  Mine is set for 0.035, but this is going to depend on the thickness of the lines in the original drawing.  You may need to play around a bit with this.

5.    Select all and choose color.  I am assuming that the original image lines are black; you can do a color match on the image to choose the color.  My image has black outlines so I’m just using that.  Once filled, right click and ungroup again.

6.    Time to choose your digi papers.  I am using Bugaboo Stamps “Polka Dot Flowers”.  Open the folder where your papers are located and simply drag the “paper” into the space you want to fill with the pattern.  I have done half of mine here.  (note:  I forgot to offset the center of the “e” in the earlier step).  At this point, you can select any of the parts and adjust the pattern size using the Fill Pattern tool in SDE.  I left mine as is.

Once done, select the entire traced image and group then set to “No Cut” Hint: Always check your cut lines before actually cutting.  There should be no cut lines in the image.



You should have your original image near the mat still, since we haven’t modified the size of either part, the traced part should fit perfectly over the original image, with the offset lines filling in the lines of the image.  Go ahead and stack the new image onto the original graphic.  The final image now looks like this and it’s ready for printing and coloring as you wish for your project:



I hope you enjoyed my first tutorial.  If you have any questions, please leave me a message in the comments or e-mail me and I’ll try to help out.

Happy Crafting!

Image and Papers:  Bugaboo Stamps
Banner from Silhouette Online Store
Scrappy Cat Glitter Glue
Ribbons, buttons, gems and charm from stash

I would like to enter this card in the following challenges:
Challenges and Candies Monochromatic
Crafting for All Seasons For Girls
Crafty Catz Monochrome
Delightful Challenges You Have my Heart
Digi Stamps 4 Joy Ribbon
Fairy Tale Challenge Bows
Hiding in My Craft Room For a Loved One
Inky Impressions Monochromatic
Lacy Sunshine Bingo (Bow, Glitter, Card Candy)
My Mum's Craft Shop Love
Polka Doodles Digi Chooseday In the Pink
Robyn's Fetish Lots of Glitter
Sentimental Sundays Lovey Dovey (w/Sentiment)
Silhouette Challenges Anything Goes
Simply Create Too Valentine's Day or Use Hearts
Sketch Saturday Sketch
The Squirrel and the Fox Use Embellishments
Whoopsi Daisy Bling and Sparkle

30 comments:

  1. What a brilliant tutorial and I love the card, am going to have a go at this. Thank you for joining us over at Crafting For All Seasons, Good Luck and we hope to see you again soon. Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Leeann: Your pink card is sssssooooo pretty---great job on your tutorial. Glad you entered the Simply Create Too "Valentine's Day or Hearts" Challenge #53.

    Please come back this coming Friday, 31 Jan, for our new challenge #54.


    Diane
    Simply Create Too Design Team Member
    http://DianesDigitalDesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely ! Thanks for joining us at Polka Doodles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful card. Love the heart garland!! Thanks for joining our You Have My Heart Challenge at Delightful Challenges.

    ~~Chris
    Design Team
    Delightful Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! Thank you for joining our challenge this week at Inky Impressions. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great card and a great tutorial. Thanks for sharing it this week at Crafty Catz. Naomi x

    ReplyDelete
  7. sweet and a very beautiful card Leeann.
    Thanks for join us at
    {Digistamps4Joy DT Member}

    Karin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great card! Thank you for sharing with us at Fairy Tale Challenge and good luck!

    Hugs

    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely gorgeous and I LOVE your tutorial... I think I am going to have to get a silhouette... I've been fighting the urge and trying to stay loyal to my Cricut, but the capabilities of the Silhouette are SOOOOOO coool! :) Thanks for sharing with us at Inky Impressions!

    Hugs, Adina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leanne what a great tutorial thanks so much for everything you have done for Bugaboo! I hope you have enjoyed your stay we have enjoyed your work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was interesting! I love to learn new techniques, especially ones that show me how to use the digital stamps. Your card is adorable.

    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm with MommyScraps on this, looks like a Silhouette is wanted :) Great tutorial, thank you.

    Oh! yes and your card is GORGEOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea and splendid tutorial. Thanks for playing with us at Izazovi i sladkiši. We love it in pink.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grate card and amazing Tutorial ,thanks for joining us at Polkadoodles Challenge
    Susan DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty Card .. Thanxx For Playing With Us This Week At The Robyn's Fetish Challenge *Lots Of Glitter* Good Luck
    Sherry @ Robyn's Fetish DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tutorial (must try this sometime) and a cute card too. Love your love hearts banner as well. Thanks for joining in the Sketch Saturday Challenge this week.

    Hugs, Vannessa
    Sketch Saturday DT

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pretty clever. Thanks for the tutorial. And thanks for joining us at Lacy Sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a terrific tutorial Leeann! It has been great having you as part of the Bugaboo team these past few months. Gorgeous work!
    Hugs & Happy Days!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a wonderful creation with great details and perfect for our ‘ADD REAL RIBBON’ challenge. Thanks for sharing your talent with us. Good luck.
    Hugs
    Desíre
    {Digistamps4Joy DT Member}
    {Doing Life – my personal blog}

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for this fabulous tutorial on faux paper piecing. You have opened up a new window of creativity for me. I have used it today and will be posting on my blog tomorrow - giving you credit and linking to your tutorial :-) New follower of yours now too ! Thanks again. Karon

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow, I absolutely love this card! It's just gorgeous!! Thanks for joining us at Polka Doodles! Hugsxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. First of all, thanks a lot for the great tutorial!
    Your card is SO cute! Lovely image and the coloring is fabulous!
    Thanks for playing with us at Sentimental Sundays!

    ReplyDelete
  23. very pretty card
    thank you for joining us at Polkadoodles
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great little card & an super little tutorial too!
    Thanks for playing at CFAS this time!
    Good Luck
    Hugs
    Dawn xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Fantastic card and tutorial. Love the image too!! Great card for a loved one!! Thanks for joining us at Hiding in my Craft Room
    Cheers Jennie DTM
    Jenscrapstoo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely Card and great Tutorial.
    Thank you for joining us at Crafting for all Seasons.
    Hugs Elfie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous!! Thanks for joining us at Digi Choosday - Polkadoodles. Take care Zo xx (DT)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great tutorial. I've always wondered how this is done. kReN

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is fabulous.. I would like to know where you got you Love dangle banner.... I would LOVE to have that. Is it a die, a stamp or what? Thank you.

    DT Pam

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog!!! DT, if I miss the mark on a challenge, please send me a private e-mail? And I apologize in advance if I misunderstand the rules.

If you're a recent follower, please post a comment with your blog or send me an e-mail so I can be sure to follow you too!

~Leeann